- have type 1 diabetes, diagnosed within the last 6 months.
- be aged 5 years or older.
Siblings without diabetes may also take part if aged 5 years or older.
Only siblings of a person with type 1 diabetes who is enrolled in ADDRESS-2 may take part.
Study sites that also recruit to the TrialNet: Natural history of type 1 diabetes study will approach siblings about taking part in the TrialNet study in preference to ADDRESS-2.
If you do not meet these criteria but would still like to get involved with research into type 1 diabetes you can:
- Find out more about current research studies
- Find out about other ways to find out about studies and trials
ADDRESS-2 is recruiting participants at more than 140 study sites across England and Wales.
To find your nearest study site:
- Look at the map of our sites – these are hospitals recruiting participants from the paediatric or adult diabetes clinic or both.
- Contact us with your postcode so that we can put you in touch with the research nurse at your nearest site.
You can speak to the research nurse to find out more about taking part in ADDRESS-2 without committing to participate.
You will be given written information about ADDRESS-2 and be given the opportunity to ask questions before deciding whether to take part.
What is involved in taking part?
It involves attending an appointment at a time and place convenient for you.
The research nurse will ask you to sign a consent form giving us permission to collect and store information about you, and to contact you about other type 1 diabetes research for which you might be eligible.**
If you agree to donate a sample of blood, there will be a second consent form to sign giving us permission to store your blood and the DNA extracted from it.
The research nurse will ask about your diabetes, medical history and your family medical history and take the optional sample of blood.
We will collect additional information about you from records held by the NHS.
**In general, the research nurse will ask a parent/guardian to sign the consent forms on behalf of a participant under the age of 16 years, and the participant will sign an assent form.
Agreeing to be contacted about other type 1 diabetes research
Taking part in ADDRESS-2 includes agreeing for us to contact you about other research for which you might be eligible.
It does not mean that you are agreeing to take part in other studies – it will be up to you to decide whether to take part in any study that we contact you about. Our aim is to make our participants aware of the opportunities to take part in other research.
We will only contact you about type 1 diabetes trials and studies that have been given approval by an NHS research ethics committee.
These may include:
- Trials aimed at slowing the progression of type 1 diabetes
- Trials of new types of insulin
- Studies investigating the causes and progression of type 1 diabetes
Find out more about the studies we are currently supporting.